Dental hygienists treat and counsel patients to promote oral health and prevent diseases. They assess patients’ health histories, remove tartar, stains and plaque from teeth, take and develop dental x-rays, polish teeth manually and with powered tools, develop and assess patient care plans, apply agents to the surface of the teeth to minimize decay, and teach patients how to control and prevent diseases.
Dental hygienists are professionals licensed by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners. Licenses are issued to applicants who have completed a dental hygiene program accredited by the Commission in Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, pass the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, passed a regional dental hygiene clinical exam, the TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment, and hold current CPR certification with hands-on demonstration skills. Accredited dental hygienist programs in Texas lead to an associate of science or a bachelor of science degree.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of dental hygienists is expected to grow 6 percent from 2019 to 2029. The employment change during this period is projected to be 13,300. In 2020, the median pay was $77,090 per year or $37.06 per hour.
UT Health San Antonio – School of Dentistry
The Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science Degree program prepares students for licensure and entry-level employment as a dental hygienist. Students will complete 63 program hours in two years after completing 60 hours of prerequisites. The curriculum will include theory, laboratory, and clinical activities in dental hygiene. Course topics include oral anatomy, preclinical dental hygiene, dental radiology, preventative dental hygiene theory, dental materials, periodontics, pharmacotherapeutics, oral pathology, and healthcare ethics. Graduates will receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene. They will be able to provide clinical assessment and preventive oral health care within the scope of dental hygiene practice to infants, children, adolescents, and adults, provide ethically and socially responsible oral health care in compliance with the laws and regulations governing the practice of dental hygiene and promote a healthy lifestyle and education. A maximum of 30 students are admitted with each cycle.
Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene
Duration: 2 years (core courses)
Credit hours: 123
- Must apply for a dentpin
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended to ADEA DHCAS
- Must shadow a dental hygienist to witness the various responsibilities of a hygienist in the work environment
- Submit a completed application and $60 to UT Health San Antonio
- Submit TOEFL scores if English is not the first language
- Letters of recommendation, dental assisting job, employment history, communication and written skills, and graduation from another accredited healthcare-related program will be considered in the selection process
- Must be able to perform essential functions related to the role of the dental hygienist
- Must complete at least 6 credit hours of prerequisites prior to admittance
- Attend an admission interview
Tuition for the program is $23,484. Other costs include books, health insurance, fees, and supplies.
Address: 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229
Concorde Career College
Concorde Career College provides a supportive learning environment for students to acquire theoretical knowledge, technical skills, and professional attributes to qualify for licensure and entry-level employment as a dental hygienist. Students will learn the importance of personal growth, professional commitment, community involvement, and continued research. Course titles include microbiology, anatomy and physiology, dental hygiene, nutrition, dental public health, oral pathology, board review, dental materials, dental radiology, college algebra, dental office emergencies, periodontology, dental law and ethics, general psychology, and dental office management. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination.
Associate of Science in Dental Hygiene
Duration: 18 months (70 instructional weeks)
Credit hours: 88.50
Contact hours: 1810
- Attend a personal interview and campus tour
- Complete and submit the admission documents – Enrollment Agreement, disclosures, etc
- Complete and pass an entrance assessment – Wonderlic SLE (20), HESI A (70)
- Complete an Online Readiness Assessment
- Provide documentation of graduating from an accredited institution providing secondary education or the equivalent
- Must be a citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen of the United States – documentation will be required
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the clinical externship – A parent or legal guardian must co-sign the Enrollment Agreement for applicants under 18
- Submit a completed health certificate including immunization records and the results of certain tests
- Must be able to read, speak, and write in English
- Complete a criminal background check
- Attend an interview with the Program Director
The program cost of $74,377 includes tuition and textbooks. Fees and supplies are not included in the cost.
Address: 4803 NW Loop 410, Suite 200 San Antonio, TX 78229