The food service industry offers abundant opportunities for employment, growth, and recognition if you’re willing to put in the work. Starting out is simple. You can start as an apprentice in a local restaurant or in an entry-level assistant position. Enrolling in a culinary school is an alternative if you’re looking to make your mark in the industry. Culinary arts programs begin at the certificate level, requiring just a few weeks of training, or diploma and associate degree programs for more comprehensive study. Apart from developing technical skills, culinary arts programs emphasize business skills and preparation and national certification.
Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts
Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts offers an Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Culinary Arts for adults seeking entry to the food industry. The hands-on program takes students beyond the classroom to local farms to gain a clear perspective on ingredient sourcing and the connection between producers and the table. The curriculum covers culinary basics as well as regional and classical cuisines. Course topics include culinary foundations, regional cuisines, culinary arts, the science of nutrition, professional communications, culinary entrepreneurship, world history and culture, farm to table experience, restaurant operations, culinary industry externship I, college algebra, culinary industry externship II, and technical writing. Students will complete a 12-week externship as part of the program. They will be prepared to transition seamlessly to the workplaces such as restaurants, resorts, hotels, country clubs, and other food service establishments. Classes meet Monday through Friday.
Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts degree
Duration: 60 weeks
Quarter credit hours: 90
Clock hours: 1340
- Submit an application for admission
- Sign the AESCA Enrollment Agreement – inclusive of written permission of parent or guardian if under 18
- Provide proof of high school completion – high school diploma, GED, official college transcript
- Attend an admission interview
- Attend a tour of the facility
- Provide a record of previous education and training
- Complete the Information Release Form
- Pay the application fee
- Demonstrate English proficiency
The program cost of $31,255 includes tuition, uniform, tool kit, course packs, and application fee. Other costs for textbooks and supplies are not included. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
Address: 6020-B Dillard Circle, Austin, TX 78752
Austin Community College
The culinary arts program offered by ACC provides students with an outstanding education and abundant practice to excel in the culinary industry. The school offers student the very best educational opportunities, expert faculty who are vested in students’ success, and training in kitchens that match those in top restaurants and hotels. The curriculum centers on the development of culinary skills but also emphasizes employer-preferred training in sanitation, costs, and budgeting. Course topics include sanitation and safety, food production and planning, introduction to the hospitality industry, purchasing for hospitality operations, principles of food and beverage, fundamentals of baking, meat preparation and cooking, intermediate food preparation, dining room service, nutrition for the food service professional, a la carte cooking, and advanced food preparation. Students will participate in an internship and receive job placement assistance after completion of the program. Graduates who are junior members of the American Culinary Federation will be eligible to apply for Certified Culinary Certification.
Culinary Arts Associate of Applied Science Degree
Duration: 2 years (full-time)
Credit hours: 60
- Must have completed high school or GED
- Must understand the criminal background check requirements for licensure
- Must submit a completed application form
- Provide verification of meningitis vaccine
- Must attend a program information session
The program cost of 6,978.13 includes tuition, uniforms, textbooks, fees, and other supplies.
- Website: https://www.austincc.edu/
- Address: 11928 Stonehollow Dr, Austin, Texas 78758
- Phone: 512-223-7583
The Culinary Institute of America
The Culinary Institute of America prepares students for a successful career in the food service industry. The program leads to an Associate in Culinary Arts degree and comprises of core culinary arts courses, liberal arts, and business management. The curriculum is designed to support the development of the skills valuable to the industry and also additional skills to make decisions that will positively impact the business. Course topics include food safety, culinary fundamentals, meat identification, seafood identification and fabrication, high volume production cookery, bakery and pastry skills development, garde manager, hospitality service and restaurant management, back of house restaurant operations, and cuisine and cultures of the Americas, Mediterranean, and Asia. Students will participate in an internship during the final semester at one the CIA-approved business and an award-winning public restaurant.
Associate in Culinary Arts degree
Duration: 2 years
Credit hours: 69
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent -transcripts of high school education and college education required
- Submit SAT and/or ACT scores – recommended
- Complete a medical exam and have to physician fill out the exam form to be submitted to Student Health Services
- Submit a completed application to CIA and the non-refundable application fee of $50
- Submit a most recent copy of resume – for applicants with experience in the food-service industry
- Submit a personal statement between 200 to 500 words highlighting the applicant’s passion for the food and hospitality industry, experience in the industry, and how the experience has prepared for the program at CIA
- Submit a character reference completed by an employer, teacher or professional colleague on the CIA form online or PDF form. The reference should address the applicant’s commitment to the food industry, problem-solving ability, and persistence in work or academics
The program cost of $76,586 includes tuition, application, supplies, board, student support services, exam fees, and student accident insurance for four semesters. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
Address: 312 Pearl Parkway, Building 2, Suite 2102, San Antonio, TX 78215