The dental hygienist is the preventative professional in the dental team. In this role, you educate patients on the promotion of oral care and the prevention of oral diseases. Day-to-day responsibilities include taking x-rays, removal of deposits from the teeth, mouth exams, dental education, and therapeutic treatments such as fluorides, sealants, and antimicrobials. Dental hygienists must have a license to practice in California. Requirements for licensure include completion of an accredited dental hygiene program (Commission on Dental Accreditation), pass a criminal history investigation, pass the California Dental Law and Ethics Exam, Pass the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, and pass the California state clinical board.
The dental hygiene program at Southwestern College provides a strong foundation for students to reach their potential in the field of dental hygiene. The training will include theory and practical instruction that will give students the confidence to obtain licensure as a dental hygienist. The practical component of the program is critical and requires that students recruit patients for hands-on practice. All recruits must consent to and undergo a screening process. Course modules include an introduction to clinical concepts, introduction to clinical principles, dental radiography and interpretation, anatomy and physiology, oral health, oral embryology and histology, periodontics, pain control, pathology, dental pharmacology, transitional clinic, dental materials, special need patients, advanced periodontics, ethics and jurisprudence, and seminar. Graduates will impact the health of their communities through the promotion of oral health for individuals and families. New classes begin in the fall and are completed in two years. Classes meet five days a week. The class size is limited to 36 students per cohort.
Duration: 4 semesters
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor
- Attend a program workshop before applying to the program
- Submit an application for admission online – SWC ID number is required
- Complete the program prerequisites with a grade C or better – human anatomy and physiology, general microbiology, introduction to general chemistry, fundamentals of nutrition, general psychology, introduction to sociology, and reading composition
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Submit official transcripts of all college courses completed
- Attend a mandatory orientation
- Met with a counselor to develop a Student Education Plan
- Provide documentation of up-to-date immunizations, vaccines, TB test and CPR certification
The estimated total program cost is $10,000 to $12,000. The first-semester cost is approximately $7,000 for the instrument kit, non-instrument kit, tuition, optical loupes, uniforms, textbooks, shoes, badge, malpractice insurance, membership fees, and student activities card. The cost for the included tuition is based on California residency. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
Address: 900 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista, CA 91910-7297
Phone: (619) 421-6700 x5247
Concorde College provides a supportive environment for dental hygiene students to acquire knowledge, technical skills, and attitudes to qualify for licensure as a dental hygienist and entry-level employment in the field. Experienced instructors will emphasize the importance of personal growth, community involvement, professional commitment, and continued research. Course topics include anatomy and physiology with wet lab, microbiology, organic biochemistry, college algebra, elements of human communication, dental materials, medical and dental emergencies, dental office management, dental radiography, periodontology, pharmacology, dental hygiene process of care, nutrition, dental laws and ethics, dental public health cultural diversity, and head and neck anatomy. Graduates will be eligible to take the National Board Dental Hygiene Exam.
Dental Hygienist Associate of Science
Duration: 90 instructional weeks – full-time
Semester Credits: 105.50
Contact hours: 2,275
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Review the catalog before signing the enrollment agreement
- Attend a personal interview and campus tour
- Complete all the required admissions documents
- Complete and pass the entrance exam – Wonderlic SLE with a score of 20 or above or the HESI A2 with a score of 70 or above
- Provide documentation of completing high school or equivalent
- Must be able to read, speak and write English
- Submit a health certificate and immunization records
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the US or eligible noncitizen
- Complete a criminal background check with acceptable results
- Interview with the Program Director
- The clinical facility may require timed drug screens
The total program cost of $89.795 includes tuition, textbooks, and STRF. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
Address: 4393 Imperial Ave., San Diego, CA 92113