Everyone needs a haircut. By enrolling in a cosmetology program, you will acquire the skills to enter an in-demand profession. There are numerous roles that you can assume as a cosmetology graduate including professional stylist, makeup artist, salon manager, nail technician, cosmetology instructor, barber, and much more. Cosmetology also provides the opportunity to earn a good income and enjoy flexibility and independence if you choose to start your own business. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, cosmetologists earned a median annual pay of $29,680 in 2021 and the job outlook is projected at 11 percent through 2031.
Students enrolled in the cosmetology program at Ogle School will receive training in the art and science of cosmetology. The content will be delivered via lectures, demonstration, and interactive sessions. The hands-on sessions include practice through mannequin repetitions and clinic activities. Additional activities such as the use of visual aids, student presentation, and student exercises will further support the mastery of skills in all aspects of cosmetology. Course topics include cutting, styling, coloring, chemical textures, professional development, manicuring and related theory, facials, hair removal, and health, safety, and laws. Students who opt for the iPad included in the kit will gain access to the digital curriculum, which facilitates interactivity with classmates, helpful videos, and digital textbook. Apart from the technical coursework, students will learn the business of cosmetology. Courses will include retailing, retention, rebooking, building relationships, and gaining referrals. Graduates will be prepared for employment as a Hair Stylist, Platform Artist, Colorist, Salon Manager, or Salon Owner. Full-time and part-time schedules are available.
Duration: 7 months (full-time) 13 months (part-time)
Clock hours: 1000
- Must be at least 17 years of age at the start of the program
- Must have completed high school or GED equivalent. Persons holding an associates, bachelors or higher degree may also be admitted to the program
- Schedule and attend an admissions interview
- Sign an Enrollment Agreement
- Submit official transcripts if applying for transfer credit
- Attend a new student orientation
The program cost is $17,800 for full-time students and $19,500 for part-time students. It includes tuition, books, equipment, and supplies.
- Website: https://www.ogleschool.edu/
- Address: 6125 S.W. Loop 820, Suite 128 Fort Worth, TX 76132
- Phone: 888-820-4224
Toni&Guy Hairdressing Academy
The cosmetology program at Toni&Guy focuses on the Classics curriculum which includes 11 cut and nine color techniques to give students a fundamental education in hairdressing. Students will also gain expertise in products, makeup, skincare, and an understanding of the salon experience. The program is divided into five levels – each with at least one section. Students will begin with Fundamentals I and II and progress to the sophomore level after a month of freshman training. Freshman and sophomore levels will include theory and practical sessions in all aspects of cosmetology as well as classic haircutting and coloring. The junior, senior, and graduating senior levels will emphasize practical applications with clients. Graduating seniors will complete State Board applications to prepare for the Mock State Board Exam which includes written and practical portions. Course topics include cutting methodology, shampooing, cutting and styling, coloring, basic color theory, product knowledge, personalizing techniques, clipper cutting, avant garde hair concepts, practice state board practical, blow drying, and makeup application. Students must pass the Mock State Board Exam to graduate from TONI&GUY and obtain a cosmetology license.
Basic Cosmetology Course
Duration: 29 weeks (full-time) 33 weeks (part-time)
Clock hours: 1000
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Must have completed high school level education – provide a high school diploma, HiSET, GED, transcripts or other sworn or duly authenticated documents stating the school attended and the high school education level and graduation date
- Complete an interview and campus tour with the Admissions Director
- Take and pass an entrance exam – Wonderlic Basic Skills Test with a minimum passing score of 14 out of 50
- Apply for admission to the Academy
- Submit a US state or federal photo ID and a US birth certificate or social security card
- Sign an enrollment agreement
The program cost of $20,000 includes tuition, technical tool kit, DNA digital education, textbooks, and media kit.
- Website: https://toniguy.edu/
- Address: 1185 South Main St. Keller, TX 76248
- Phone: (214) 603-0771
DuVall’s School of Cosmetology
Students enrolled in the cosmetology program at DuVall’s School of Cosmetology have the best opportunity to learn and grow as they prepare for licensure and employment in teh field of cosmetology. The hands-on program covers all facets of the industry including cutting, styling, coloring, texturing, nails, customer service techniques, career preparation, and business knowledge. At the conclusion of the program, students will have a positive attitude and a sense of personal integrity and self-confidence, demonstrate proper grooming and effective communications, perform basic manipulative skills that include hair styling, shaping, lightening, tinting, chemical reformation, facials, manicure, pedicures, and nail extensions, and perform basic analytical skills to determine proper makeup, hairstyle and color applications. Full-time and part-time schedules are available.
Duration: 8 months (full-time) 10 months (part-time)
Clock hours: 1000
- Must meet the minimum age requirements – 16 years of age
- Provide proof of identity and citizenship eligibility – driver’s license, government ID, or passport and social security card or receipt issued by the Social Security Administration
- Provide a high school diploma or transcript showing completion or a GED certificate or other state-approved High School Equivalency Test Results
- Applicants with previous cosmetology credits must request an evaluation prior to enrollment in order for transfer hours to be evaluated
- Submit a completed Interview Sheet Application for Enrollment
- Submit an Enrollment Agreement and pay the non-refundable application fee of $50
- Submit an application to register with the state regulatory agency and pay $25 fee required by TDLR for all first-time applicants
- Applicants under the age of 18 will need a parent or legal guardian to sign off on the application form
The program cost of $17,525 includes tuition, books, kit, and application fee. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://duvallschool.com/
- Address: 201 Harwood Rd #218, Bedford, TX 76021
- Phone: 817.984.9267
Fort Worth ISD
The Cosmetology program at Fort Worth ISD is an extended course of study that prepares students to become licensed cosmetologists through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Students will also be eligible to industry certifications that will help them secure entry-level employment immediately after graduation and certification. The rigorous curriculum also sets the foundation for post-secondary learning. Core topics include cutting, styling and coloring hair, providing makeup analysis and applying makeup, performing manicures and pedicures, provide facials using creams, facial masks, and massage techniques, and more. Eligible certifications include cosmetology operator license and OSHA 10-hour general industry certification.
Duration: 2 years
Clock hours: 1000
- Must have a working email address
- Must provide proof of age
- Must have a FWISD ID#
- Must be in the 9th grade
Tuition is free for FWISD students.
- Website: https://www.fwisd.org/FWorthISD
- Address: 100 N. University Drive Fort Worth, TX 76107
- Phone: 817-814-2000
I.T.S. Beauty Academy
Cosmetology students enrolled at ITS Beauty Academy will learn a variety of techniques and skills in cutting, coloring, perming, and styling hair as well as skin and nail care. Students will commence the use of quality products and tills from the very first day of training. Committed faculty will be on hand to support growth and development to take students to the next level.
Duration: 7 months (full-time) 11.6 months (part-time)
Clock hours: 1000
- Must be beyond the age of compulsory attendance – proof of age required
- Must have graduated from high school or GED – provide high school diploma, GED scores, transcripts or other documents
- Must pay the applicable registration fee – refundable if the applicant is rejected
- Submit a completed student registration form
The program cost of $16,900 includes tuition, books, kit, uniforms, registration fee, and other fees.
- Website: https://www.olympusbeauty.com/ITS/
- Address: 4800 S. Hulen Suite 2235, Fort Worth, Texas 76132
- Phone: (877) 710-9311
Michael’s Barber & Hair Stylist Academy
The cosmetology program at Michael’s Barber and Hair Stylist Academy prepares students to function as Class A barbers. Students will learn from skilled instructors who are passionate about what they do and are committed to students’ success. The curriculum will cover everything from barber laws to hair cutting and facial treatments. It will include both theory and hands-on practice opportunities. Graduates will be prepared to obtain licenses to practice both cosmetology and barber services.
Class A Barber
Duration: 8 months
Clock hours: 1000
- Must attend a personal interview
- Complete all admissions forms
- Provide a copy of high school diploma or equivalent
- Must submit 2 1.5 by 1.5 photographs
- Obtain a TDLR Permit Fee – $25 check or cash to the institution
- Provide a copy of driver’s license or identification card
- Provide a copy of social security card or birth certificate
- Must be at least 18 years of age
The program cost of $16,943 includes a registration fee, permit fee, two photos, books, kit, and tuition.
- Website: https://www.michaelsbarberacademy.com/
- Address: 2413 West Airport Freeway, Irving, TX 75062
- Phone: 972-594-7700
Aveda Arts & Sciences Institutes
The cosmetology program at Aveda Arts and Sciences includes theory and practical instruction to equip students with knowledge and skills to become licensed cosmetologists. Areas of study include haircutting, wiggery, hair design, finger waves, shampooing, hair styling, color, tinting, bleaching, state board rules, anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, skin care, safety measures, basic manicuring, facials, massage, and skin care. Students will learn in the classroom and apply their skills in the student clinic to prepare for real-world employment. The curriculum will also prepare students for success in business with classes in communication, client relations, business management, marketing, referrals, and more. Graduates will be prepared to take the state licensure exam.
Duration: 33 weeks (full-time)
Clock hours: 1000
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable application fee of $100
- Schedule and attend an informational interview and campus tour
- Submit a letter of recommendation and letter of intent
- Provide proof of completing high school or equivalency- high school diploma, high school transcript, college transcript indicating at least two years of attendance
- Submit a valid photo ID with proof of age and social security card
- Submit valid proof of US citizenship or lawful status
- Submit payment for the student kit by the registration deadline
The program cost is $16,500. The application fee, kit fees, State Board registration fee, and additional testing fees are not included.
- Website: https://avedaarts.edu/
- Address: 8188 Park Lane, Suite C-150 | Dallas, TX 75231
- Phone: 214.363.1291