Plumbing is an exciting career that will give you the freedom to work with your hands and earn a good salary while doing so. With some measure of experience in the field, you can earn as much as $57,800 per year working for someone else, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. There is the potential to earn more if you own and operate your own plumbing company. Apart from the salary, plumbing offers other rewards such as the option to work on your own schedule, opportunities to advance your career, the satisfaction of helping others, and continuous demand that remain unaffected by economic changes. The best part is that you can enter the profession with limited formal training and continue to learn on the job. Plumbing schools may be completed in less than 6 months for a basic plumbing certificate. The short-term learning means faster entry without excessive student debt.
The commercial plumbing course at Dallas College covers methods used in the installation of controls, water heating systems, circulating water systems, and other piping systems commonly found in commercial buildings. The second part of the course – Commercial Plumbing II – covers the selection of trade materials, mathematical calculations applicable to the plumbing trade, hand and power tools, and safety practices for the industry. Each module includes 2 hours of lectures and 3 hours of lab for students to develop hands-on skills required for entry-level employment.
Commercial Plumbing, I and II
Duration: 2 semesters
Semester credit hours: 6
- Apply for enrollment at Dallas College
- Attend a pre-advising session with an enrollment representative
- Must meet with TSI requirements
- Attend an information session
- Register and pay for classes
- Applicants under 18 years of age
- Must provide documentation of high school graduation or equivalent
- Must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Must have a valid social security number and state photo ID
Tuition costs $948 for in-district students. The cost of books, fees, and supplies must be added to the cost.
- Website: https://www.dallascollege.edu/pages/default.aspx
- Address: 3737 Motley Drive, Mesquite TX 75150
- Phone: 972-860-7100
The Facility Maintenance Diploma at Remington College includes a module for plumbing maintenance. Students will also learn electrical repairs, HVAC maintenance, small appliance maintenance, and drywall and carpentry repairs. The program is offered in a hybrid format where some of the courses will be delivered online. Content will be delivered through lectures and practical labs facilitated by experienced faculty. The program requires the completion of 400 lecture hours and 320 hours for lab. Morning and evening schedules are available.
Facility Maintenance Diploma
Duration: 9 months
Quarter credit hours: 44
- Execute an Application and Enrollment Agreement with Remington College
- Applicants under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign the application and enrollment agreement
- Provide documentation of high school graduation or equivalent before enrollment – high school diploma, high school transcript, or GED
- Complete Remington College’s Career Path Assessment and Online Risk Profile
- Must make satisfactory financial arrangements to provide for complete payment of the program cost
The program cost is $14,565. Books and supplies must be added to the cost. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://www.remingtoncollege.edu
- Address: 1800 Eastgate Dr., Garland, TX 75041
- Phone: (972) 686-7878